You need not worry about shelling out so much money for capital. The suggestions below require very little for starting up. Most home based money making ideas, in fact, are ventures that can be done using the things normally found in the average household. Some skill based work can be performed by people who have had adequate education. So, you see, it doesn't take a lot to carry out these ideas. Give them a shot!
1. Selling your stuff. If you're a hoarder at heart who's running out of space, then it's time to dig for money making opportunities in the piles and piles of so-called treasure you acquired over the years. Select the items you can afford to let go of - the ones that no longer hold any sentimental value to you - and sell them either online or from your own house by putting up a garage sale. Either channel will convert into home based work for you, unless you offer to deliver the goods to distant buyers. But to keep your costs down, the buyers should be the ones to collect the items themselves.
2. Teaching ESL to Immigrants. Not all immigrants arrive in this country knowing a modicum of English to help them get by in everyday activities such as shopping for necessities and asking for information. If you happen to speak their native tongue, you can charge them a reasonable fee to teach them English as their second language (and hopefully make it their first language eventually). Teaching ESL is one of the money making opportunities that can be taught in person or online. If your clients don't have a computer set up yet, then you may have to charge them a slightly higher fee to come to their house to teach them as well as provide learning materials for them.
3. Affiliate programs. Do you own your own domain? If you have your own website which caters to a specific audience, you can allocate virtual space for ads. Join affiliate programs where you earn money each time your readers click on the ads of your partners.
4. Answer surveys. Believe it or not, there are marketing companies that pay people to respond to their online surveys. Go ahead and turn this into one of your money making opportunities. You have nothing to lose from this little venture. In fact, it could be the most relaxing home based work you could ever do while waiting for your next big opportunity. Imagine filling out forms electronically while still in your pajamas and sipping your favorite hot drink. Making money doesn't get any more relaxing than that!
5. Translating copy. There are plenty of money making opportunities in this field, as there are a lot of website owners who wish to draw a larger non-English speaking audience by having language options on their sites. If you can speak and write in a popular foreign language - such as French, Spanish, Italian or German - very fluently, then you can offer translation services as home based work. Advertise your offerings and be ready to give potential clients a free sample of your services, such as translating a few paragraphs for them.
The economy may be tough and jobs appear scarce, but if you're resilient, focused and talented enough, you can find money making opportunities even in the less obvious places. Who knows, your secondary sources of income may turn into full-time ventures one day when the demand for your products and services increases! Don't be afraid to experiment with new ideas and turn to family and friends for guidance when the going gets tough. Good luck and here's wishing you great success!